The human body is well equipped to get rid of toxins and other unnecessary, unwanted matter (waste) from the various systems that make it up. However with the passage of time, due to unhealthy diets, intake of toxic substances (drugs, alcohol, caffeine, certain medications), chronic stress and exposure to environmental toxins, these detoxification pathways can become sluggish and the body can feel inflamed as if it is not firing on all cylinders.
Compromised detoxification pathways can lead to a lack of energy, infections and disease as our vital organs are subjected to daily stress and start to function less efficiently. Therefore, giving the body some much-needed respite through a full body cleanse can not only reset the system but also help nurture our vital organs. As a result, they get to ‘reset’ so to speak. This means we can help to reset and restore systemic efficiency in our bodies by taking a break from unhealthy habits (preferably getting rid of them altogether).
Do you need a detox?
Is your body in dire need of a cleansing detox? Watch out for these tell-tale signs:
- You seem to suffer from an endless cycle of skin breakouts, rashes, eczema, acne and other skin blemishes. You may also have a dull, tired, and lack-lustre complexion.
- You suffer from digestive problems like constipation, diarrhoea, bloating, irregular bowel movement and stomach upset.
- You experience general aches and pains and suffer from fatigue or low energy. You also feel anxious, chronically stressed and overwhelmed.
- You usually feel depressed, unmotivated, emotionally unstable. You also seem to lack energy and enthusiasm for life.
- You suffer from frequent unexplained headaches, fuzzy thinking, brain fog or lack of mental clarity.
- You have frequent bouts of cold sores, colds and flu and seem to pick up viruses quite easily, resulting in you being constantly medicated.
- You suffer from several food and scent sensitivities or intolerances and allergies.
- You don’t feel rested after sleep or suffer from irregular sleep patterns.
- You are overweight and seem unable to lose it.
- You experience unhealthy cravings for sweets or make unhealthy food choices. Fried foods, processed foods, refined sugar or fast food are part of your daily fare.
- You consume coffee, alcohol, drugs (prescription or otherwise) or cigarettes regularly.
- You are constantly exposed to common environmental toxins such as cigarette smoke, artificial fragrances, household chemicals, herbicides, and pesticides.
- You suffer from body odor and halitosis (bad breath) while observing daily hygiene and good oral habits.
The body has its own mechanism for neutralising and eliminating toxins through the excretory system. The organs primarily responsible for these include the liver, kidneys, intestines, lymph, skin and lungs. However, whatever toxins the body is unable to eliminate are normally stored in the fat tissues and bone.
Benefits of complete internal body cleansing
If the above information now compels you to show some self-love and get started on a cleanse, then I am happy you found this blog. When you finish your cleansing programme, you can reasonably expect to expect the following benefits:
1. Increased energy levels
Sluggishness, lack of energy or fatigue are symptoms of the body’s inability to process, absorb and utilise nutrients from food. When toxins have accumulated in the body, it can lead to a reduction in cellular energy. A good detoxification programme which includes adequate nutrition in the diet can help jump-start efficient digestion aside from boosting energy production at the cellular level. This period of cleansing helps restore vitality and energy so you should feel lighter and more alive.
2. Improves mental clarity
The brain-gut connection means that any time there is something amiss in the gut, the brain is affected. A high toxin load impairs the brain’s ability to quickly process information thereby leading to brain fog. The energy boost emanating from a period of detoxification rewards the brain with improved focus and mental clarity. Different toxins are fat-soluble, so their adverse effects on the brain can be immediately felt – primarily because the brain has one of the largest aggregations of fat in the body. This is why a well-planned full body cleanse should clear the way for neurological benefits.
3. Supports liver function
The liver is one of the primary detoxification organs that tirelessly works to eliminate harmful substances from the body. However the liver can also benefit from a detox/ cleanse as it essentially gets to take a ‘break’ from working overtime. A detox helps to restore liver health so that this vital organ can efficiently perform vital metabolic and detoxification processes.
4. Strengthens the immune system
Toxin accumulation affects all bodily processes, including those of the immune and lymphatic system. Lower immunity means a higher susceptibility to infections and disease. Poor immune health is a sign that a full body cleanse is necessary. After a detox period, the immune system functions better and white blood cells are able to work more efficiently to combat microorganisms and foreign bodies.
5. Promotes healthy, clear skin
The skin is not only the largest organ of the human body, it is also one of the primary detoxification organs. Any toxic accumulation or imbalance in the body is quickly manifested in the skin. This comes in the form of dull, pale problem skin which is prone to breakouts and rashes. After undergoing a cleansing detox, you can expect to experience better skin health.
6. Helps with weight management and digestion
A detox helps to restore the functional efficiency of both the gut and liver. Once proper metabolic function is established and the body’s ability to absorb and utilise nutrients is restored, long-term weight management is easier.
7. Reduces inflammation
Diet plays a major role in our health and well-being. Detoxification requires the consumption of a healthy balance of nutrient-packed whole, natural foods. This way you can benefit further from the reduction of inflammation once toxins are eliminated and bodily systems are reset for optimum functionality.
8. Balances emotions and helps improve mood
Since a high toxic load affects the brain, it inevitably affects how we experience events and the feelings or emotions associated with these. After a period of Cleansing, once accumulated toxins are expelled, you can experience an improvement in your mental and emotional state. This does not only mean you’ll be generally feeling better about yourself but you will also start experiencing better sleep.