Yoga for Senior Citizen
One of the great things about yoga is that it is extremely adaptable to different populations with diverse physical abilities and needs.In our Bharat Yoga studio Yoga for Senior Citizens is specifically designed for the elderlies to strengthen their spine, back and legs. Usually elder people face issues like spinal injuries, slip disc problems, sleeping problems (insomnia), cardiovascular diseases, arthritis, diabetes, depression etc. With a combination of asanas, pranayama and meditation techniques we have created a program that helps you overcome all these issues and lead a more healthy and peaceful life.
In life, the perfect balance is when the mind becomes weak, the body tends to take over and become stronger. Similarly, when the body becomes weak, the mind strengthens up and takes over. Yoga helps in maintaining this balance amongst senior citizens. It has time and again proven to be beneficial for the older generations by improving mental flexibility, self-reliance, health, and stamina.Start Your Journey with us today For your Golden Days.
Tips for elderly Yoga beginners
- Eat three meals a day and try to eat only when hungry. Elderly beginners should avoid overeating. Socialize more with people your age and take regular walks. Try to surround yourself with positive and like-minded people.
- Try to reflect on your day-to-day events. Keep yourself busy!
- Try to be caring and compliment when need be. Make an effort and try to change something without expectations because this is also Yoga.
We also make yoga accessible such as Chair Yoga for Senior Citizens.
These are also called desktop yoga poses. Seniors and office-goers may find it convenient as these asanas can be done while sitting on a chair. Neck roll, cow stretch, seated forward bend, eagle arms, seated spinal twist and templeNeck roll, cow stretch, seated forward bend, eagle arms, seated spinal twist and temple rub rub are all chair yoga asanas that have immense benefits.
- Chair yoga relaxes the neck and back muscles, releasing pent up stress.
- Helps alleviate body pain, tension and fatigue.
- Increases flexibility enabling seniors to bend and reach the toes.
Helps co-ordinate body movements and improves sense of balance.
- Increases overall muscle strength.
We also offer Yoga Nidra
Yoga Nidra is, by far, the most essential part of any yoga practice. As you grow older, it becomes even more essential to assimilate its benefits into your system.
These are some of the Beneficial Asanas for Senior Citizens:
- Trikonasana is also known as Triangle Pose, which is a very easy yoga pose for senior citizens. It helps strengthen the muscles of the hip region. It also regulates the imbalance in blood pressure amongst the elders.
- The Butterfly Pose, commonly known as the Baddha Konasana aims at reducing stiffness and swelling at joints. It also regulates the process of digestion.
- Another simple yoga asana for the senior citizens is Shishuasana or The Child Pose. This asana is a great reliever of back pain. It regulates the blood circulation too, by calming the nervous system.
- Shalabhasana or the Locust Posture is a very common type of yoga asana practiced by elderly people. It improves the process of digestion by toning the organs near the abdomen.
- Marjariasana, the cat-stretch pose relaxes the mind, releases back pain and imparts flexibility to the stiffness of the spine, that comes with age.
- Shukshma Yoga benefits people of all age. It includes exercises for the eyes, ears, necks, and hands. It uplifts your mood and improves the overall sense of balance and muscle strength in the body.
However, there are other yoga asanas for senior citizens too which can be done by sitting on a chair. Temple rubbing, eagle arms, rolling the neck, the low stretch, etc are very simple yoga asanas which come with great benefits.