Do you practice yoga? Paraphrasing a famous saying, one yoga practice a day keeps the dermatologist away! Or are you one of those people who love the idea of it but never seem to get around to actually do it
Whatever the case may be, I won’t judge; I’m here to tell you of some lesser-known benefits of yoga you might not even be aware of.
Of course, we all know yoga will help you improve your posture and strength, increases your physical health, drop your blood pressure, or ease aches and pains. There are enough studies to prove these health benefits that yoga brings with regular practice. But did you know it will also benefit your skin tone and complexion?
How Practicing Yoga Affects Our Skin?
First off, there is the bane of every teenager’s existence: the zits. Even adults have their fair share of pimples popping up every now and again, and believe it or not; yoga can help you wage war on the little pests.
Although pimples and zits can pop up for various reasons, the two most common ones are increased toxin levels and a disturbed hormonal balance. Things like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, junk food, the high levels of stress and anxiety, and all the weird snack combinations that girls and women tend to eat while PMS-ing are all shiny roads right into Pimpleville.
So go ahead and twist it out!
Yoga Asana for Glowing Skin:
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): This pose reduces stiffness in the back and shoulders, relaxes and elevates your mood, and makes your skin smooth.
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose): This asana enables deep breathing, helps normalize hormonal imbalance and relaxes muscles. It also makes the skin more flexible and firm.
- Halasana (Plow Pose): This pose increases blood circulation to the face and head, resulting in glowing skin.
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose): This asana makes helps in getting rid of dullness by supplying blood to the head. It also helps tackle acne and pimples.
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose): This pose increases the flow of blood to your face and head. The increase of oxygen supply manifests in the better quality of the skin.
- Shishuasana (Child Pose): This asana increases blood circulation to the head region and relieves stress and weariness.
Tips to Follow Everyday:
There are certain simple tips which we know you know, but still, a gentle reminder can go a long way:
- Drink lots of water: Lukewarm water with lemon and honey helps detoxify your system. It also keeps your skin clean and healthy.
- Exercise daily: Go for long brisk walks regularly. This will add a healthy glow and color to your face.
- Make healthy eating choices: Eat fresh fruits and vegetables which are rich in Vitamin C. Papayas are especially beneficial in cleansing the system. Potatoes are effective in reducing dark spots, scars, tans, and sunburn. Avoid fried or junk food and excessively sweet or spicy foods. Also, choose a diet suitable to your constitution depending on your body type: VATA PITTA, or KAPHA.
- Rest well: When your body is well rested, it automatically shows on your face. Try to get eight hours of good sleep.
- Stay natural: Go for Ayurvedic facial packages and facial scrubs. Use natural herbs that are chemical free. Using Vitamin E oil is also recommended. Wash your face after returning home from a long day and keep it moisturized. Splash water on your eyes at least two to three times a day. Go for weekly body massages with oil which is suitable for your body type to cleanse away the toxins.
- Smile more: This is the best makeup for your face. The more you smile, the more your skin will glow.
- Meditate: Meditate twice a day, every day. It will help you radiate from within and outside.
Note: All the tips mentioned above are preventive rather than curative.
Practicing Yoga helps develop the body and mind, yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is essential to learn and practice yoga under the supervision of a trained Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga only after consulting your doctor.