Practicing Yoga asanas is one of the most beneficial regimes, but when complemented with the healthy food habits, it can really create wonders.In fact, eating the right food is an essential part of living a Yogic life.
What we eat, not only influences our physical well being, but also our emotions and thoughts. Yoga, does not dissect food into proteins, carbohydrates or fats, instead it classifies them according to the effect they have on the body and mind, into three types – Satva, Rajas and Tamas. Tamasic food is the kind of food which makes us lethargic or sluggish, while Rajasic food is that which brings about activity or restlessness. Whereas, Sattvic food is the kind which makes you feel light, energetic and enthusiastic.
- Sattvic foods are those which purify the body and calm the mind.
- Cooked food that is consumed within 3-4 hours can be considered sattvic Examples - Fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, nuts, grains, fresh milk, certain spices.
- They stimulate the body and mind into action. In excess, these foods can cause hyperactivity, restlessness, anger, irritability, and sleeplessness Overly tasty foods are Rajasic.
- Examples – Spicy food, onion, garlic, tea, coffee, fried food.
- Tamasic food are those which dull the mind and bring about inertia,confusion and disorientation.
- Stale or reheated food, oily or heavy food and food containing artificial preservatives fall under this category.
- Example – Non vegetarian diet, stale food, excessive intake of fats, oil, sugary food.